Friday, August 31, 2012

Game Theory

100_5816
Game Theory is usually used in Economics and Politics where one would compare the possible outcomes for any action that he/she will do we with the ones that our opponents would do. I have seen Game Theory to be handy even in a day to day use; the most common example for Game Theory is Prisoner's Dilemma, but in this post I will talk about using Game Theory to find a place to park my car.

OK, we have two parking lots in my company and there are four possible things that could happen:
1. Arrive early and park in the near/shaded area
Makes perfect sense

2. Arrive early and park in the far/unshaded area
Why would I do that?!


3. Arrive late and park in the far/unshaded area
There are some empty spaces but walking to the office takes more time and effort

4. Arrive late and park in the near/shaded area
In case I was lucky enough I might find an empty space, otherwise I would have wasted more time looking for a space in this area and eventually go back to the far/unshaded area which again costs me time and effort to get to the office

So, what do I do? Of course, arrive early in the first place, otherwise I just park at the first empty spot that I observe.

In this case, my opponent was actually 'the occupancy of the parking lot'. If I arrive late mostly likely I will not be able to find an empty space, which means I ended up having to deal with what is called a dominated strategy. Conversely, a dominant strategy means that regardless of what the other player chooses, you are certain that the option that you choose will always yield a better outcome.

Finally, I want to share this website you (www.academicearth.org thx Raed) which has lots of free lectures from top universities. It also has a full course on Game Theory from Yale university by Dr. Benjamin Polak, even if you watch one lecture, trust me it is totally worth it.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...